- Increased software adoption, improved the user experience, reduced support costs, and accelerated web deployments by developing help content, videos, courseware, and documentation.
- Streamlined editorial and web production and improved the performance of organizational learning.
- Accelerated learning with Top 50 “Dummies” books for users, developers, and media professionals.
- Raised brand awareness and generated sales leads by writing white papers and product literature.
- Strong aptitude for understanding technology and articulating its value.
- Proven success writing and managing technical documentation and training courseware.
- Proven ability to manage media production, including online, video, presentations, and print.
- Expert on audio, video, graphics, animation, project tracking, social media, and content management.
- Accomplished, self-motivated, and influential communicator.
Expert Support at Google: Training Specialist (2016 to the present)
- Drove adoption of Android app development with courseware, including Android Development Fundamentals, in use by millions of students in thousands of universities around the world.
- Developed Android apps for training exercises, including Android Apps – Phone Calls and SMS and Codelab: Use ConstraintLayout to design your Android views.
Deem: Senior Writer (2011-2012), Technical Publishing and Training Manager (2013-2016)
- Improved the customer experience and helped increase by 5x the adoption of business travel and expense cloud services by writing and developing multilingual help content and videos.
- Reduced support calls by 75% and accelerated partner site deployments by creating an administrator portal and writing reference guides, courseware, training tips, API documentation, and tutorials.
- Reduced the cost of editorial collaboration and web production by consolidating the work of 9+ predecessors into an efficient 3-person team using best practices for single-source documentation.
- Improved the performance of organizational learning by curating the company knowledge base wiki.
- Improved account management by automating the release notes and bug-reporting process.
- Unified the brand and drove a renewed focus on the customer by improving the quality and consistency of documentation across product lines.
- Drove engagement with Car Service offerings by writing “Syndicated Commerce & the New Mobile Concierge” (Chauffeur Driven Magazine).
Book Author, Video Producer, and App Developer (2002 to the present)
- Achieved Top 50 Computer Books status for multiple editions of iPod and iTunes for Dummies and Adobe Illustrator: The Official Handbook for Designers.
- Garnered critical acclaim and excellent reviews for the Just Say No To Microsoft book.
- Received five-star reader reviews for The Experiment, a novel.
- Successfully developed an iPhone app in Objective C (Tony’s Tips for iPhone Users).
- Accelerated learning about mobile app development by writing iPad App Development For Dummies (book) and creating Non-Programmers Guide To Building iOS Apps (DVD/video).
Freelance Writer, Learning Consultant, and Marketing Director (1999-2011)
- Contributed to a 61% increase in BEA revenues by writing about application servers and software-as-a-service (SaaS) for a rebranding campaign.
- Improved BEA sales efforts by developing a portal for content, ROI calculators, and case studies.
- Helped establish BEA’s leadership in enterprise innovation, services-oriented architecture (SOA), and business process management (BPM) by creating product messaging and multimedia content.
- Improved organizational learning for SumTotal Systems customers by writing technical briefs about learning management.
- Generated leads for McAfee network security and virtualization products, Adobe secure forms and document delivery offerings, and PivotLink business intelligence solutions by writing technical briefs and data sheets for web sites and trade shows.
- Improved Sun Microsystems’ competitive advantage by developing and managing customer success stories and case studies about virtualization, server consolidation, and big data storage.
Previous Positions (1976-1999)
- Training Manager and Communications Manager: Live Picture (LivePix)
- Producer: Haight-Ashbury in the Sixties and Macromedia Lingo Studio (Random House)
- Editorial Director: NewMedia magazine, Publish! magazine
- Publisher and Editor: Desktop Publishing, Macromedia User Journal, Inside Report on New Media
- Columnist: Computer Currents, Prodigy, The Chicago Tribune Technology Section, PC Computing
- Senior Technical Writer, NewFire, Intel, and Data General
Skills and Expertise
- Apple Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, GarageBand, iBooks Author
- Google Docs, Sheets, Forms, Sites, AdWords, AdSense, Analytics, YouTube
- Adobe FrameMaker, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, Dreamweaver, RoboHelp, Captivate
- DITA, Madcap Flare, Oxygen XML Editor, Atlasssian Jira and Confluence Wiki, MediaWiki, WordPress, Zendesk, Limelight
- Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, animation and video capture tools
Recognition and Affiliations
- Society for Technical Communications First Prize Award for a programming reference manual
- “A deeply provocative alternate look at the 1960s.” Michael Gosney on The Experiment (May 2017)
- “A fabulously innovative work, both in substance and style.” Ken Sonenclar on The Experiment (Aug. 2017)
- “One of the most interesting overviews of modern desktop computing history that’s ever been written… possibly a watershed event.” John Dvorak on Just Say No to Microsoft (Nov. 2005)
- “Near genius at making complex ideas understandable.” Jerry Pournelle, BYTE (Dec. 1986)
- Tufts University, The Haverford School, Flying Other Brothers for benefit concerts and fundraisers